Interviews with the authors of the film "Desert forbidden art"
ARTinvestment.RU 14 марта 2011
Details about the second-largest collection of the Russian avant-garde in the world
Bull (Fascism comes).
over the weekend in New York's Cinema Village theater last year showed film "Desert forbidden art", which tells about the collection of Igor V. Savitsky (1915-1984), the first director of the Museum of Arts Uzbek city of Nukus. Website
ARTINFO: Chavdar, you grew up in the USSR. Did you know about the museum in Nukus?
Chavdar Georgiev : I not only had not heard about such a collection, but even the existence of the Nukus no idea. It was a closed city, where produce chemical and biological weapons. About him very little people know about. In Russia, the city of Nukus and Savitsky collection known except that the leading art historians and those who, so to speak professionally connected with the activities of the city.
Amanda Pope : In Washington, for example, building the CIA, too, is not publicized. And then the city where developing chemical weapons. Of course, the Soviet authorities did not want him to someone he knew.
C. G. : And with this in Nukus is the second largest collection of Russian avant-garde art - more than 40,000 paintings and drawings.
ARTINFO: Tell us about the collection in detail. As Igor Savitsky generally managed to collect so much art in times of censorship?
C. G. : He was a crafty, as told to Amanda. A very charming man, absolutely devoted to his hobby. He literally lived in the museum. He's got hung on a hanger one suit, made specifically for the visits of the authorities. When it had come, he put on this costume. He did everything in the museum itself. And when the local office of the Communist Party gave him an apartment, he immediately gave her two conservators from Moscow, who had nowhere to live.
AP : Do Savitsky had no money, but he moved in artistic circles, and walked from one widow to another. His collection of 1920-30's going for almost two decades - since the second half of 1960 until his death in 1984. So, he went to look at the pictures, asked the widows to deploy them - they saw that he really loves art, that he is a true connoisseur. And they wanted their husbands' work on display at the museum. What we are really touched when we were working on the film - so this is how deep into the Russian people who laid the love for art. They are not interested in the auction value of work - it is important that the picture came to the museum to see its people.
ARTINFO: What are the outstanding works boasts a collection of Savitzky?
C. G. : There is absolutely stunning works of artists from Moscow and St. Petersburg, but the real gems - a product of the so-called "Oriental Avant-garde" artists, who came from Moscow, from Petersburg, even from Siberia - to build a new society in Central Asia. And Central Asia was for them as Tahiti for Gauguin: luxurious colors, Islam, Sufism, the Silk Road ... In their work the influence of Islam united with European modernism and the Russian avant-garde. And so came this startling new movement in art that have not seen anywhere except in Uzbekistan.
AP : The artists are portrayed camels in the desert - but the camels in the cubist style. Interesting, unique style. We hope that the Uzbek government can be persuaded to really "recognize" this collection and make some efforts to promote it - now she can say is hidden from everyone - and that Nukus works will be exhibited, so that you can show them in other museums. This can be easily arranged, if the government is ready to cooperate.
ARTINFO: As far as I know, the director of the museum (Marinika Babanazarova. - AI.) Already approached some western art dealers with offers to sell works from the collection. Was not she tempted to put some items in the market to the money to take care of the rest of the meeting?
AP : As for the temptation - I do not think, but the proposals were of course. Another thing is that the Art Museum in Nukus - the state, and she can simply order to sell a particular exhibit.
C. G. : If tomorrow comes daughter of the president and say, "Oh, what a beautiful decoration!", then what can you do?
ARTINFO: Do you have favorite pieces in the collection Savitsky?
AP : Yes. "Purple road» Ural Tansykbaev .
C. G. : I have two favorite paintings. The first - a "bull" of the painter Eugene Lysenko, also known as "Fascism is coming." The image of a bull with a rifle barrels instead of the eyes had seen him in a dream. Work can be seen only in the Nukus Museum. The artist called it "fascism comes, as it is being - is written in the expressionist, avant-garde style - looks truly frightening. This work was prophetic: after a while broke Stalin's repressions. A second favorite painting, titled "Teahouse" was performed Alexander Volkov , a Russian artist, born in Uzbekistan . It is curious that we have not seen it on the wall of the museum and in storage. That's an incredible painting of Uzbeks over tea. True, they drink tea in the background of a portrait of Lenin - the work was created in Soviet times, and without Lenin, of course, was not enough. As we now have in America without Obama. A picture of Lenin, now in Uzbekistan is not in favor, so the work is mired in the store and visitors to admire it can not. It can only be seen in the film.
AP : This is the thing at an early Picasso. Absolutely amazing picture. And the fact that she is now in the store just because of a portrait of Lenin on the wall ...
ARTINFO: Art is still very much depends on the policy.
AP: Yes, they are still "tied". Life Savitsky, the collecting of his activities - everywhere policy played a central role. And now the same situation.
P. S. Nukus museum has experienced an extremely unfriendly to the artistic vanguard of the Soviet era, but now his fate is unclear. Recently, the Director Marinika Babanazarova not even released from the country to film in the Washington National Gallery.
Interview: Kate Daymlin (Kate Deimling), ARTINFO.com
Translation Julia Maksimova, AI
When quoting reference to the https://artinvestment.ru without fail
- 23.11.2017 What kind of pictures gives Putin Paintings — is one of the most frequent gifts that the President gives for the camera. In the week he congratulated the Patriarch on his birthday, again giving a picture — with the decoration of the assumption Cathedral of the Kremlin. Remember that even Putin gave famous people
- 23.11.2017 Estonian post released a stamp with a painting of the sixties Hulot Sooster The stamp on the envelope Estonian designer has placed a reproduction of the painting "Fairy tale forest" in 1962 the brush of the legendary sixties from Sretenskaya group
- 22.11.2017 Of the French Museum stole the painting Giorgio de Chirico "Composition with self-portrait" was stolen from the Museum of Fabrega in Beziers in the South of France
- 15.11.2017 Russia's only canvas by Caravaggio cleared from bad edits The Hermitage painting "Young man with a lute (the lute player") returned to the St. Petersburg Museum after two years of restoration and cleaning
- 07.11.2017 The Tretyakov gallery has presented work Helium Korzheva A meeting of 33 picturesque and graphic works 2 Helium Korzheva was donated to the Museum by the collector Vladimir Nekrasov
- 24.11.2017 Contemporary art at auction "Russian enamel" November 29 In the catalogue of 114 lots (paintings, drawings, photography, objects, sculpture), totaling more than 11 million rubles. Price range of works — from 700 to 7 700 000 rubles
- 21.11.2017 Auction # 20 in the "Antique book club" At the first session of play graphics, painting, posters and postcards, the second — book rarity. Pre-show open
- 21.11.2017 Opened 205-е the Auction Traditional twenty lots — is eleven paintings, four sheets of original graphics and five works executed in mixed media
- 17.11.2017 In the footsteps of great expeditions and discoveries... November 23 auction house "Russian enamel" will hold with "Expedition" a joint auction. The event will be held in the restaurant of the Russian North "Expedition" Singing in the alley
- 17.11.2017 Rare books, manuscripts, autographs and photographs at auction "In the Nikita" In the directory — 489 lots. The auction will be held on November 23. Auction start at 19:00
- 24.11.2017 7.5 times higher than the start of a rare icon in the art Nouveau style at the auction "Russian enamel" The hammer price of the icon "St. George the victorious" has reached 450 thousand. from the start of 60 thousand. These and other results of the auction of Russian and Western European art of the 18th Nov in our review
- 21.11.2017 Soviet unofficial art in "Auction No. 1" on November 18. A brief summary The auction catalog of 142-х lots were sold almost 40% and brought a total of slightly more than 4 million rubles
- 21.11.2017 Picture of David Shterenberg in 12 times exceeded the estimate at the auction "Russian enamel" 3.2 million rubles were paid for the "portrait" painted by David Shterenberg (1881-1948) at the start from 250 thousand. A total auction of paintings, graphics and decorative-прикладного art in "Russian enamel" November 16, brought more than 8 million rubles
- 16.11.2017 The most expensive artists in the world. Top auction results The rating of the most expensive artists in the world headed by Leonardo Da Vinci, and ends with Paul Cezanne. The difference in price between the first and last positions of the ranking of the top-19 — 389,8 million dollars
- 16.11.2017 The most expensive sculptures in the world. Rating Argued that the sculpture is always cheaper than the picture... It is not. Three-dimensional works are also able to bring are just mind-blowing amount!
- 23.11.2017 Vechtomov, Plavinsky, Grositsky and other... From 29 November to 29 December, the gallery "Dolgorukovskaya, 29" and Alexander Mironov represent art-проект "Us(R)taught to life"
- 16.11.2017 In the Tretyakov gallery opens exhibition of Saryan A large exhibition in Lavrushinsky lane will present 29 beautiful works of Martiros Sergeyevich Saryan (1880-1972) from the collections of the state Tretyakov gallery, the National gallery of Armenia and at Home-музея of Martiros Saryan in Yerevan
- 14.11.2017 "Quitprogram" gallery "vellum" In the framework of the "Quitprogram" will be held an exhibition "Symbolism and non-conformism", a concert of Alexei Paperny, the lecture of Valery Dudakov
- 14.11.2017 The exhibition El Lissitzky opens in two museums Today, 14 November the opening of the exhibitions of El Lissitzky in the State Tretyakov gallery on the Crimean Shaft and in the Jewish Museum and tolerance center
- 09.11.2017 Sean Scully in the Multimedia Art Museum In Moscow, the Museum of the artist, is a retrospective of the international stars of contemporary art Sean Scully. The exhibition show of abstraction, created in 1960-х years
Login for subscribers
- 1. Alberto Giacometti$141,7 million
- 2. Damien Hirst$100 million
- 3. Amedeo Modigliani$70,7 million
- 4. Jeff Koons$58,4 million
- 5. Unknown artist$57.2 million
- 6. Henri Matisse$48,8 million
- 7. Constantin Brâncuși$37,2 million
- 8. Paul Gauguin$30,96 million
- 9. Henry Moore$30,1 million
- 10. Willem de Kooning$29,28 million
- 11. Pablo Picasso$29,2 million
- 12. Unknown artist$28,6 million
- 13. Louise Bourgeois$28.16 million
- 14. Adrian de Vries$27,9 million
- 15. Alexander Calder$25,9 million
- 16. Unknown artist$23,826 million
- 17. David Smith$23,816 million
- 18. Yves Klein$22 million
- 19. Auguste Rodin$20,41 million
- 20. Unknown artist$19,1 million
- 21. Edgar Degas$18,82 million
- 22. Maurizio Cattelan$17,19 million
- 23. Unknown artist$16,88 million
- 24. Takashi Murakami$15,16 million
- 25. Donald Judd$14,16 million
- 26. Unknown artist$11,64 million
- 27. Antonio Canova$11,5 million
- 28. Bruce Nauman$9,9 million
- 29. Aristide Maillol$8,32 million
- 30. Unknown artist$8,146 million
- 31. Cy Twombly$7,7 million
- 32. Julio Gonzalez$7,45 million
- 33. Marino Marini$7,15 million
- 34. Urs Fischer$6,8 million