Interviews with the authors of the film "Desert forbidden art"
ARTinvestment.RU 14 марта 2011
Details about the second-largest collection of the Russian avant-garde in the world
Bull (Fascism comes).
over the weekend in New York's Cinema Village theater last year showed film "Desert forbidden art", which tells about the collection of Igor V. Savitsky (1915-1984), the first director of the Museum of Arts Uzbek city of Nukus. Website
ARTINFO: Chavdar, you grew up in the USSR. Did you know about the museum in Nukus?
Chavdar Georgiev : I not only had not heard about such a collection, but even the existence of the Nukus no idea. It was a closed city, where produce chemical and biological weapons. About him very little people know about. In Russia, the city of Nukus and Savitsky collection known except that the leading art historians and those who, so to speak professionally connected with the activities of the city.
Amanda Pope : In Washington, for example, building the CIA, too, is not publicized. And then the city where developing chemical weapons. Of course, the Soviet authorities did not want him to someone he knew.
C. G. : And with this in Nukus is the second largest collection of Russian avant-garde art - more than 40,000 paintings and drawings.
ARTINFO: Tell us about the collection in detail. As Igor Savitsky generally managed to collect so much art in times of censorship?
C. G. : He was a crafty, as told to Amanda. A very charming man, absolutely devoted to his hobby. He literally lived in the museum. He's got hung on a hanger one suit, made specifically for the visits of the authorities. When it had come, he put on this costume. He did everything in the museum itself. And when the local office of the Communist Party gave him an apartment, he immediately gave her two conservators from Moscow, who had nowhere to live.
AP : Do Savitsky had no money, but he moved in artistic circles, and walked from one widow to another. His collection of 1920-30's going for almost two decades - since the second half of 1960 until his death in 1984. So, he went to look at the pictures, asked the widows to deploy them - they saw that he really loves art, that he is a true connoisseur. And they wanted their husbands' work on display at the museum. What we are really touched when we were working on the film - so this is how deep into the Russian people who laid the love for art. They are not interested in the auction value of work - it is important that the picture came to the museum to see its people.
ARTINFO: What are the outstanding works boasts a collection of Savitzky?
C. G. : There is absolutely stunning works of artists from Moscow and St. Petersburg, but the real gems - a product of the so-called "Oriental Avant-garde" artists, who came from Moscow, from Petersburg, even from Siberia - to build a new society in Central Asia. And Central Asia was for them as Tahiti for Gauguin: luxurious colors, Islam, Sufism, the Silk Road ... In their work the influence of Islam united with European modernism and the Russian avant-garde. And so came this startling new movement in art that have not seen anywhere except in Uzbekistan.
AP : The artists are portrayed camels in the desert - but the camels in the cubist style. Interesting, unique style. We hope that the Uzbek government can be persuaded to really "recognize" this collection and make some efforts to promote it - now she can say is hidden from everyone - and that Nukus works will be exhibited, so that you can show them in other museums. This can be easily arranged, if the government is ready to cooperate.
ARTINFO: As far as I know, the director of the museum (Marinika Babanazarova. - AI.) Already approached some western art dealers with offers to sell works from the collection. Was not she tempted to put some items in the market to the money to take care of the rest of the meeting?
AP : As for the temptation - I do not think, but the proposals were of course. Another thing is that the Art Museum in Nukus - the state, and she can simply order to sell a particular exhibit.
C. G. : If tomorrow comes daughter of the president and say, "Oh, what a beautiful decoration!", then what can you do?
ARTINFO: Do you have favorite pieces in the collection Savitsky?
AP : Yes. "Purple road» Ural Tansykbaev .
C. G. : I have two favorite paintings. The first - a "bull" of the painter Eugene Lysenko, also known as "Fascism is coming." The image of a bull with a rifle barrels instead of the eyes had seen him in a dream. Work can be seen only in the Nukus Museum. The artist called it "fascism comes, as it is being - is written in the expressionist, avant-garde style - looks truly frightening. This work was prophetic: after a while broke Stalin's repressions. A second favorite painting, titled "Teahouse" was performed Alexander Volkov , a Russian artist, born in Uzbekistan . It is curious that we have not seen it on the wall of the museum and in storage. That's an incredible painting of Uzbeks over tea. True, they drink tea in the background of a portrait of Lenin - the work was created in Soviet times, and without Lenin, of course, was not enough. As we now have in America without Obama. A picture of Lenin, now in Uzbekistan is not in favor, so the work is mired in the store and visitors to admire it can not. It can only be seen in the film.
AP : This is the thing at an early Picasso. Absolutely amazing picture. And the fact that she is now in the store just because of a portrait of Lenin on the wall ...
ARTINFO: Art is still very much depends on the policy.
AP: Yes, they are still "tied". Life Savitsky, the collecting of his activities - everywhere policy played a central role. And now the same situation.
P. S. Nukus museum has experienced an extremely unfriendly to the artistic vanguard of the Soviet era, but now his fate is unclear. Recently, the Director Marinika Babanazarova not even released from the country to film in the Washington National Gallery.
Interview: Kate Daymlin (Kate Deimling), ARTINFO.com
Translation Julia Maksimova, AI
When quoting reference to the https://artinvestment.ru without fail
- 21.03.2017 "Unknown masterpieces" from private collections will be shown at the Cultural Forum in the Arena Moscow cultural forum will take place in the Central Arena from March 24 to 26. The public can visit it for free. The business program will be accompanied by performances of famous people, and at least one interesting exhibition
- 20.03.2017 Vandal attacked with a screwdriver on the painting by Gainsborough in the National gallery 63-летний homeless Keith Gregory managed to make two long scratches on the painting "Morning stroll" painted by Thomas Gainsborough
- 20.03.2017 Russian artist led the first Antarctic Biennale A sociocultural expedition, devised by our Alexander Ponomarev, finally-то started. 16 March 2017 from the Argentine port of Ushuaia towards Antarctica came research vessel "Akademik Sergey Vavilov" with the artists on Board
- 10.03.2017 Medina will provide bloggers with free entrance to museums In theaters online-писателей, too, will be admitted free. It seems that the cultural authorities began to suspect that a youth TV it is not the assistant
- 10.03.2017 Kandinsky painting I would like the court to Rob German Bank On the famous painting of 1907 "Colorful life" claimed by the heirs of the prewar owners. Now the painting is owned Bank of Bavaria, who rents it out to a Museum in Munich Lenbachhaus
- 28.03.2017 Painting by CY Twombly with an estimate $55 million put up for auction The painting "Leda and the Swan" promises to be one of the top-лотов auction of postwar and contemporary art Christie's may 17, in new-Йорке
- 28.03.2017 Books, autographs and stuff at the auction "KABINET" on March 30 March 30 auction house "KABINET" will hold the dealer auction, which will feature 455 lots, antique books, autographs, photographs, posters and postcards
- 22.03.2017 House of antique books "In the Nikita" invites auction # 90 March 30, will auction "Russian painting, graphics, decorative-прикладное art XVIII–XX centuries Autographs, historical documents, rare books on art, photography. From the collections of M. V. Ratz, I. V. Ilyinsky, E. Gollerbakh, A. T. Tvardovsky"
- 20.03.2017 Open 170-е the Auction Traditional twenty lots — is eleven paintings and six of the original sheets, one draw composition and one work, executed in mixed media
- 17.03.2017 Jubilee auction "Russian enamel" March 25 auction house "KABINET" will hold two sessions 50th anniversary-х auction, which will feature rare books, autographs, photographs, postcards, paintings and drawings. In the auction catalogue of over 400 lots for a total sum about 30 million roubles
- 24.03.2017 National standard "Examination of works of art. Paintings and drawings. General requirements" (GOST R 57424-2017) In nestandarta first lists the requirements for expert opinion as to the document with the list of information which it must operate. National standard examination of art promulgated by Order of the Federal Agency for technical regulation and Metrology (Rosstandart) №176-ст from 22 March 2017.
- 24.03.2017 Gogol for 6.5 million and Lermontov 3. Results 49-го auction "Russian enamel" Next Saturday's auction brought in almost 22 million rubles. With the hammer went about 53 % of the lots
- 23.03.2017 "Russian enamel": the new site was a happy one The results of the first auction "Russian enamel" in the new building on the Garden-Кудринской: sold 61% by lots and 79% for the money
- 16.03.2017 The picture of Alexander Gerasimov went for 3.7 million rubles. at auction "Russian enamel" on March 4 Just last auction of Russian and Western European art brought more than 13 million rubles With hammer away 47 % of the lots
- 10.03.2017 Revolution and international women's day: a brief summary of the auction "KABINET" on March 2 Sold out posters of the Civil war period and the first years of Soviet power. Collection of Felix Medvedev brought to 138 % of the average total estimate
- 24.03.2017 "An artist's model in the camera lens" The exhibition in the Tretyakov gallery (Lavrushinsky pereulok) will introduce with 45 portraits of the muses of Russian artists of second half XIX — beginning of the XX century
- 24.03.2017 The exhibition of Georgy Vereisky opens in the Russian Museum From 30 March to 15 may in the Mikhailovsky castle will host the first major exhibition of Soviet graphic classics by G. S. Vereisky (1886-1962). Will be presented about 150 works from the collection of timing
- 22.03.2017 Pushkin will hold an exhibition of Giorgio Morandi Exhibition of about 70 paintings and watercolors of Giorgio Morandi (1890-1964) from world famous museums and private collections opens at the art Gallery of Europe and America on April 25 and will last until mid-September
- 22.03.2017 The Faberge Museum will host a major exhibition of Salvador Dali More than 150 paintings and graphic works of Dali will be shown in the private fabergé Museum in Saint-Петербурге
- 20.03.2017 Andy Warhol in the state Darwin Museum Vavilova street In 1983, the king of pop-арта performed a series of ten serigraphs of "Endangered species" — with images of animals under threat of extinction. Among them was the Siberian tiger. Now these works were first shown in Russia
Login for subscribers
- 1. Mark Rothko$86,83 million
- 2. Kazimir Malevich$60,00 million
- 3. Chaim Soutine$28,16 million
- 4. Wassily Kandinsky$23,3 million
- 5. Alexei Jawlensky$18,59 million
- 6. Marc Chagall$14,85 million
- 7. Valentin Serov$14,51 million
- 8. Nicholas Roerich$12,09 million
- 9. Natalia Goncharova$10,88 million
- 10. Nicolai Fechin$10,84 million
- 11. Nicolas de Staël$9,42 million
- 12. Tamara de Lempicka$8,48 million
- 13. Ilya Repin$7,43 million
- 14. Konstantin Somov$7,33 million
- 15. Ilya Mashkov$7,25 million
- 16. Boris Kustodiev$7,07 million
- 17. Vasily Polenov$6,34 million
- 18. Yuri Annenkov$6,27 million
- 19. Vasily Vereshchagin$6,15 million
- 20. Zinaida Serebriakova$5,85 million
- 21. Ilya Kabakov$5,83 million
- 22. Alexander Yakovlev$5,56 million
- 23. Wladimir Baranoff-Rossine$5,37 million
- 24. Ivan Aivazovsky$5,34 million
- 25. Vladimir Borovikovsky$5,02 million
- 26. Alexander Rodchenko$4,5 million
- 27. Sonia Delaunay$4,34 million
- 28. Mikhail Nesterov$4,30 million
- 29. Konstantin Makovsky$4,20 million
- 30. Vera Rockline$4,04 million
- 31. Paul Kuznecov$3,97 million
- 32. Boris Grigoriev$3,72 million