How to lose money on "investment" in art. 11 "bad advice"
ARTinvestment.RU 29 августа 2018
In addition to the quite radical scenario with the purchase of fakes (they generally will not speak), there are some pretty reliable ways to return the money invested and permanently disappointed in the purchase of works of art
Sincerely in love with the art people are quickly deceived in their expectations is perhaps the most frustrating and hopeless loss for all. And for artists, and sellers of paintings, and for the community of collectors. This usually happens with people at the most vulnerable stage @- the first steps in collecting, when a long-cherished wish finally-то is supported by financial capability. In this moment of natural there is a neophyte's enthusiasm and desire to quickly gather his collection dim eyes, not allowing them to think critically. Then-то and it is discouraging to watch as one starts to buy up all that no hitting, and the second catches the money, paying ten times, and the third begins to buy up and store almost unknown, but his favorite artist.
it Ends, alas, bad. Once confident mountain-коллекционеры try what-то to sell previously purchased, and then-то at them eyes open. Well, then it depends on psychological make-up. Who-то will mourn briefly, then wave his hand, smile, and remember the rate of exchange for one beaten unbeaten and get back to shopping. The other, on the contrary, razobiditsya on the whole world and give myself a vow never, never to buy paintings. And such cases, alas, too much.
Why is this happening? There are quite a lot of reliable ways to come to be disappointed when buying art. And here's what you need to do:
bad advice 1. To close one's eyes the statistics of auction sales: not to check prices and to buy works by unknown artists who have previously never exhibited at the auctions. Why? It is clear as well. In-первых, all auctions are "cheating". And-вторых, if the artist for all the time never gone to auction, so obviously collectors hold his paintings, don't want to spend the time to part with them because they are expecting an even greater increase in prices. In the galleries of the author's work is also surely sweep cleaned at much higher prices. And auctions...who needs them? The time will come to sell – come up with what-нибудь, and there believe in the word. Yes, you have been warned that the lack of auction history, the author usually becomes a serious obstacle when you try to resale it works. For auction is a signal that liquidity is low (if not zero) and the actual price do not understand. But is it worth to think about it in advance?
bad advice 2. Do not listen to the profile advice and recommendations for novice collectors and rely solely on your own "I do." Most likely, everyone who bought the painting up to you, didn't understand anything in art or in prices. So these simpletons simply did not notice a lot of cool and cheap pieces that are destined soon to increase in price.
bad advice 3. To buy obviously expensive works of little-known authors. And "expensive" @- how much is this? In our practice, upper limit emotional shopping after the crisis of 2014 was set at 30 000. It is about the money that collectors are willing to take the risk painless: just liked @- decided to buy, without any serious commercial expectations. But whenpersuaded to buy 30 000 and 300 000, then... What-то terrible at this too, in principle, no, but about the investment aspect it is better to forget. Consider that you simply pleasantly spent money and, most likely, for a good cause.
bad advice 4. To argue so: "if a picture is old, foreign and overseas bought the auction – so she's valuable." In practice, to sell a foreign author in Russia is not an easy task. At the Moscow auctions even in the same full time interest in them was not. And so to the Western paintings of unknown artists – there was even more. Buy for fun – please. But not for investment.
bad advice 5. To catch a wide dragnet of work by little-known artists, including authors early in his career. All beginners are inspiring stories about van Gogh, Basquiat or Zverev. And all hope to buy your lucky lottery ticket. The market this great benefit. But you have to understand that from the point of view of the chances of resale is 99% not investment, and buying for pleasure, "for fun". That is, with money spent it is better mentally to say goodbye. Yes, we cannot completely exclude that in dragnet accidentally gets "goldfish" @- here for it and leave 1% probability. But not anymore.
bad advice 6. To invest in self - "promotion" of the unknown, but the attractive artist. It is about to rush to Fund the exhibition, to pay for creating directories, and as-нибудь to spend money wisely on promotion. Plan the ultimate goal of which, @- increase the value of paintings in a private collection. And nothing wrong with that, I do not discourage. But if you think about the recoverability of invested funds, then consider that the risks in this business today is just outrageous. To begin with, the promotion will take years, and no one can know how many there will effect. Even if everything was done correctly, "by the book", it is still a draft and may not "fly" in the mass of unpredictable reasons and circumstances. And finally: spend the money specifically will you and benefit from rising prices will benefit all the owners of works. And many of them say thank you, and will sell at prices better than you. In these stories, with the promotion even professionals sometimes fail. And as a novice with the investment plans there better not to meddle.
bad advice 7. Relying heavily on the experience – to fully trust the opinions "friend" of the seller, artist and other advisers. Maybe everything will be fine. Maybe not. Cases of breach of trust when someone-то "good" have advised newcomers to be a dime a dozen. The correct behavior from the beginning of collecting is to listen to everyone, but to think with your head. Money, in the end, the only risk you.
bad advice 8. Chase the big names, not going into details. Then explain without sarcasm, so as not to confuse @- question too important. The artist, whether he is arbitrarily well known, and is particularly valuable in periods of creativity, and value. Valuable time is when it found its way into art, formed a distinctive creative style, but strength and energy still abound. Well, are typically low-value periods earlier searches or, on the contrary, the later years, when energy. Accordingly, for the periodalways be quite willing, and the work of the low period of demand is much lower. The same applies to finished works. Sketches, unfinished work and things to sell is usually much more difficult, despite the big names. They are much more expensive and slower than a good finished work.
bad advice 9. To believe any success stories. Any stories about art-бизнесе. The most famous of them – about how someone-то friend the dealer sells the work of little-known artists for $5 000 – 10 000 – 15 000. And yet, about the fact that in Russia there are lots of people that have money do not believe: and they spend that 5000 rubles, which is $ 5,000 for the painting – all is one. And, of course, is to listen to the wonderful talk about, "if you need money urgently, no problem will sell for what I bought". This last one is just the threat of fables. In honor of her – the next important "bad advice". The most harmful.
bad advice 10. Not trying to sell a previously purchased the picture. Buy without stopping. Accumulate, store, "salt". And always wait until the last minute. Yet will not burn completely. To this and do not even try to put previously purchased at auctions or offer in the gallery. You as a collector, not a "huckster" what-то, right? Offer your painting, sellers, intermediaries – we know them, there the same crooks solid. Will "price down", to name the numbers up to 10 times lower than you buy for yourself. Yes, and complain that selling is not easy. Right, better to sit still and think about that art always goes up in price.
bad advice 11. Play against the market and rush to buy work it is not clear why falling of the artist. Art is not a commodity where prices fell today, and tomorrow "grow". If the painting began to fall, it could be a long haul. Why? For example, there is a natural revision of the value for the history of art, falling interest collectors. Or it so happens that the prices have risen from-за phase of active promotion, and then possible driving forces (heirs, gallerists, etc.) have dried up. And it all went down. The reasons can be a lot to analyze. It is important not to run to buy like mad in the hope that prices will recover to previous levels.
Things like simple. However, this rake attacked and continue to attack many novice collectors. The biggest mistake @- to fall into sin Samohvalov: "you can't be all, this track is only mine", "we just need to wait a little longer", "you need to wait a moment," and so forth And to fill a couple of cones and quick to make conclusions – it's perfectly normal. It may even be useful. But the greatest therapeutic effect has item 10. Just try periodically to sell the previously assembled: shroud quickly will fall from the eyes and experience accumulated invaluable.
When quoting reference to the https://artinvestment.ru without fail
- 21.03.2019 In shorts at the Tretyakov gallery Never been — and here again. Until all forces were thrown on the protection of Repin, the attackers found a breach in the security of another building — in Lavrushinsky lane. In the morning the Moscow radio station excitedly discussing a new "performance" in TG. This time naked
- 19.03.2019 Italdesign unveiled a concept car "Da Vinci" Concept electric car, inspired by the designs of the great compatriot, by the Italians introduced in the year 500-летия since the death of Leonardo
- 19.03.2019 Security for Repin: from inspection at the exit refused After damage Repin "Ivan the terrible" and the brazen theft of the work of Kuindzhi, it is feared that visitors of the blockbuster "Ilya Repin" will face a crackdown
- 19.03.2019 Omega has released a watch with the design of the Russian artist Dial and slim ceramic case of the new Rado True Thinline My Bird decorated with a feather and a picture of the mythical bird Stratim created by the artist Elena Miro
- 19.03.2019 Gallery "vellum" has denied the information about the theft of the paintings on Prechistenka No artwork was not stolen. The information spread by some media, was false
- 03.08.2018 Торги «Антиквариума» 28 июля. Краткие итоги Наторговали на 3,6 миллиона рублей — 131 % от эстимейта. Одним из топ-лотов стала работа Владимира Немухина, проданная за 240 тысяч
- 25.07.2018 Очередной аукцион #всёпорублю в «Литфонде» принес почти 4,5 млн.руб. Топ-лотом стала икона «Богоматерь Владимирская» — 600 тыс. руб.
- 24.07.2018 «Русская Эмаль» торжественно закрывает сезон и уходит в отпуск На завершающих торгах 14 июля «Русская эмаль» порадовала участников Кандинским, целой коллекцией нэцкэ и произведениями Пыжовой
- 16.07.2018 Краткие итоги сороковых живописных торгов «Кабинета» Аукционный дом «Кабинет» проводит последние торги сезона и уходит в отпуск до осени, вслед за своими игроками
- 03.07.2018 Коротко о главном: итоги аукциона 28 июня в «Литфонде» Рейтинг возглавляют классики русской литературы, а сказочники продолжают удивлять
- 12.03.2019 Experts: the culture industry brings the US economy is 4 times more than agricultural production This conclusion is contained in a study published in March 2019, Bureau of economic analysis, U.S. (BEA) and National endowment for the arts (NEA)
- 11.12.2018 Why deduction of 5 % — is bad for artists Three months ago came into force the government decision No. 285: sellers of paintings commanded to donate 5 % of resale to an accredited organization UPRAVI in favor of the artists and heirs to copyright. Explain what's wrong with that
- 06.12.2018 As predictions have come true AI on the "Russian trading" in November 2018 Under each picture lots see real results are translated from pounds to dollars at the rate of 1.28. And compare with the forecast AI
- 27.11.2018 The Museum "Rostov Kremlin" have shown exposed the forgery of Russian avant-garde Curators of the exhibition "the Tail of the comet" Elena Basner, Yuri Avvakumov and Sergei Sazonov. Author Natalia Karofsky. Eight falshakov show specifically in a separate room. Including the scandalous "Samovar" by Malevich
- 20.11.2018 Living artists: top sales The ranking of the most expensive works of living artists — is design, talking about the role and place of the artist in art history is much less than on the age and health of the fortress
- 06.03.2019 "The year of theatre in the village of Peremilovo" In Theatrical gallery on Malaya Ordynka opened a personal exhibition of Vladimir Lyubarova
- 06.03.2019 Paintings and drawings by Anatoly Zverev gallery "vellum" On 24 February at the New Museum Aslan chehova (SPb) ended the great exhibition "Anatoly Zverev. Painting. Graphics". Most of the exposure can now be seen in Moscow
- 05.03.2019 Vladimir Kalinin in the Antique centre on the Garden For the first time in the exhibition space managed to collect more than 50 works 1960-80-х years from a private collection
- 28.02.2019 Images of women & women-художницы at exhibitions of the Russian Museum in Malaga Branch timing in the Spanish city of Malaga has opened three exhibitions: "Saints, Queens, and workers. The image of women in Russian art", "Russian artist. At the intersection of tradition and avant-garde" and "Graphics Russian artists from the collection of Christine Gmurzynska"
- 28.02.2019 "The aristocratic portrait in Russia of the XVIII — beginning of the XX century" Exhibition in the State Historical Museum presents the 120 scenic portraits painted by Rokotov, Levitsky, Borovikovsky, Tropinin, Serov and other
Login for subscribers
- 1. Mark Rothko$86,83 million
- 2. Kazimir Malevich$85,81 million
- 3. Wassily Kandinsky$41,6 million
- 4. Marc Chagall$28,45 million
- 5. Chaim Soutine$28,16 million
- 6. Alexei Jawlensky$18,59 million
- 7. Valentin Serov$14,51 million
- 8. Nicolas de Staël$12,12 million
- 9. Nicholas Roerich$12,09 million
- 10. Natalia Goncharova$10,88 million
- 11. Nicolai Fechin$10,84 million
- 12. Tamara de Lempicka$9,09 million
- 13. Ilya Repin$7,43 million
- 14. Konstantin Somov$7,33 million
- 15. Ilya Mashkov$7,25 million
- 16. Boris Kustodiev$7,07 million
- 17. Vasily Polenov$6,34 million
- 18. Yuri Annenkov$6,27 million
- 19. Vasily Vereshchagin$6,15 million
- 20. Zinaida Serebriakova$5,85 million
- 21. Ilya Kabakov$5,83 million
- 22. Alexander Yakovlev$5,56 million
- 23. Konstantin Makovsky$5,47 million
- 24. Wladimir Baranoff-Rossine$5,37 million
- 25. Ivan Aivazovsky$5,34 million
- 26. Vladimir Borovikovsky$5,02 million
- 27. Alexander Rodchenko$4,5 million
- 28. Sonia Delaunay$4,34 million
- 29. Mikhail Nesterov$4,30 million
- 30. Vera Rockline$4,04 million
- 31. Paul Kuznecov$3,97 million
- 32. Boris Grigoriev$3,72 million