How much time is "surviving" the picture to the next resale
ARTinvestment.RU 24 октября 2018
What is the payback period to be allocated for investment in the painting? How much time you need the picture to "otvisetsya"? And when it makes sense again to auction off to make money on the resale?
You probably noticed that the picture of the investment class it is customary to set without fuss. Usually takes many years before being bought for profit masterpiece again put up for auction. You can even talk about empirical schemes: bought at Sotheby's — 5-10 years held — have previstar on Kristis — to make a profit. Why do that? Below — opinion AI in the form of questions and answers.
Question: Why do we need to postpone the time of resale in a few years?
the Opinion of AI: For objective economic reasons. In General, when you are fighting a rare and necessary thing at auction, you most likely will buy it at top price border of the market, and most likely, even with the overpayment. Remember that you pay for the auction of around 20-30 % Commission. After all, the more "humane" rate buyer's premium of 12% on premium auctions valid from amounts of $2 000 000-4 000 000. And to $200,000 you're paying almost a third of the winning bid. However, it is not so bad. First-class things, masterpieces, tend to grow in price faster than any other works. But even with this, they need at least three years, and even longer to "digest" the overpayment and begin to bring profit to its owner.
Question: On the Russian market is often seen as a job, just bought at an auction, immediately assume to sell on the other. Between these events, sometimes, is less than a month? How do you explain this?
the Opinion of AI: a masterpieces do not. In other cases, the deliverers-спекулянты can act based on the fact that the auction for acceptance will not "break" thisthing databases of auction results. Because if the auction will see a very recent sale, it either will not take or suggest a lower reserve price. Why? It is not only the expected benefits. Just in this case, dramatically increases the risk of not sell at all. As the circle of real buyers of art in Russia is strikingly low. All auctions buy about the same collectors and dealers. Therefore, to offer the same people the same thing — strange and risky. In turn, naroda negatively affects the reputation of the auction: the less he sells, the less he bring. So in Russia run from the auction, the auction is not much sense. There are exceptions, but in General, the strategy is so-so.
Question: would it be Correct to assume that time in any case works for the investor? The longer you wait, the more expensive the art. That is the main thing — is to wait as long as necessary?
the Opinion of AI: According to the text above might give the impression that investment just-то need that patience. Say, bought, sit wait, and a few years will inevitably sell more. This is not always the case. Unfortunately, even greater "exposure period" is no guarantee of investment good luck. A long time only increases the chances of success. But in reality, can happen any crashing. For example, it may be revised for the worse the artist's place in art history, inappropriate happens the financial crisis, including sanctions, will be serious deterioration of the investment climate and the dramatic fall in consumer activity. Yes anything! And similar negatives easily outweigh any advantages of a long "ripening period". In other words, does not rule out the possibility that bought the picture ten years from now will drop by half. There is a risk. And not ephemeral. Just in a similar situation and found many of those who bought the Russian art in 2006 and decided to resell in 2016-м. Here they are — ten years. But in these 10 years happened two strong economic crisis from which the Russian art market has not recovered.
Question: Suppose time is a car you can afford to give the films "otvisetsya" at least ten, at least twenty years. In this case, it is better to invest?
the Opinion of AI: The best things artists international, not national values. World masterpieces, the "blue chips" art-рынка significantly less exposed to risks of price perturbations. We are talking about the best works of the first names of the art world, including artists of Russian origin. For example, paintings by Chagall, Kandinsky, Soutine, de Stael (the right things valuable periods) is not just well survived the crisis, but steadily increased in price all the time. Those who gave them longer "to otvisetsya" definitely not lost. These artists more reliably hold the test of time than Michelangelo and other artists of national importance (say the sixties).
However, what is said above, — is a conservative strategy. And follow her is to ignore the other great features. Remember the most expensive Basquiat, which in 2017 bought a Japanese collector for $110 500 000? About this picture it is known that in 1984 collectors Spiegel bought it for $19,000, which was then a lot of money, especially foryoung artist. Crazy risk. But in the end, after 33 years already their daughter sold the painting in 5 815 times more expensive than they were buying. For reliable de Stael or Soutine such a scenario is simply impossible. And potentially more risky contemporary artist — Yes.
Question: Back to the beginning: so how much time do you suggest to keep the picture between the resale?
the Opinion of AI: there is no Universal recipe. But if the owner lacks a clear strategy on exit from the investment, it is laid on the holding period of 5-10 years. In General, we must act according to the situation. It should feel and try to measure objectively. Changes happen quickly. If I see that fashion changes (and the artist too may go out of fashion), falling liquidity in the market or the economy shows no hope for improvement, you should not hide your head in the sand and struggling to endure 10 years to pursue a far-fetched strategy. Perhaps it will make sense to exit a trade early, with losses, but without catastrophic loss. Or on the contrary, to rely on Providence and to bequeath the art to the children, as did spouses Spiegel with his Basquiat.
When quoting reference to the https://artinvestment.ru without fail
- 21.03.2019 In shorts at the Tretyakov gallery Never been — and here again. Until all forces were thrown on the protection of Repin, the attackers found a breach in the security of another building — in Lavrushinsky lane. In the morning the Moscow radio station excitedly discussing a new "performance" in TG. This time naked
- 19.03.2019 Italdesign unveiled a concept car "Da Vinci" Concept electric car, inspired by the designs of the great compatriot, by the Italians introduced in the year 500-летия since the death of Leonardo
- 19.03.2019 Security for Repin: from inspection at the exit refused After damage Repin "Ivan the terrible" and the brazen theft of the work of Kuindzhi, it is feared that visitors of the blockbuster "Ilya Repin" will face a crackdown
- 19.03.2019 Omega has released a watch with the design of the Russian artist Dial and slim ceramic case of the new Rado True Thinline My Bird decorated with a feather and a picture of the mythical bird Stratim created by the artist Elena Miro
- 15.03.2019 Robbery-итальянски: instead of the original Bruegel thieves stole a copy of it Shortly before the robbery, the police switched the paintings "the Crucifixion" by Pieter Brueghel the Younger, and in the end ignorant of the robbers brought the Italian Church copy, but still caught on hidden camera
- 03.08.2018 Торги «Антиквариума» 28 июля. Краткие итоги Наторговали на 3,6 миллиона рублей — 131 % от эстимейта. Одним из топ-лотов стала работа Владимира Немухина, проданная за 240 тысяч
- 25.07.2018 Очередной аукцион #всёпорублю в «Литфонде» принес почти 4,5 млн.руб. Топ-лотом стала икона «Богоматерь Владимирская» — 600 тыс. руб.
- 24.07.2018 «Русская Эмаль» торжественно закрывает сезон и уходит в отпуск На завершающих торгах 14 июля «Русская эмаль» порадовала участников Кандинским, целой коллекцией нэцкэ и произведениями Пыжовой
- 16.07.2018 Краткие итоги сороковых живописных торгов «Кабинета» Аукционный дом «Кабинет» проводит последние торги сезона и уходит в отпуск до осени, вслед за своими игроками
- 03.07.2018 Коротко о главном: итоги аукциона 28 июня в «Литфонде» Рейтинг возглавляют классики русской литературы, а сказочники продолжают удивлять
- 12.03.2019 Experts: the culture industry brings the US economy is 4 times more than agricultural production This conclusion is contained in a study published in March 2019, Bureau of economic analysis, U.S. (BEA) and National endowment for the arts (NEA)
- 11.12.2018 Why deduction of 5 % — is bad for artists Three months ago came into force the government decision No. 285: sellers of paintings commanded to donate 5 % of resale to an accredited organization UPRAVI in favor of the artists and heirs to copyright. Explain what's wrong with that
- 06.12.2018 As predictions have come true AI on the "Russian trading" in November 2018 Under each picture lots see real results are translated from pounds to dollars at the rate of 1.28. And compare with the forecast AI
- 27.11.2018 The Museum "Rostov Kremlin" have shown exposed the forgery of Russian avant-garde Curators of the exhibition "the Tail of the comet" Elena Basner, Yuri Avvakumov and Sergei Sazonov. Author Natalia Karofsky. Eight falshakov show specifically in a separate room. Including the scandalous "Samovar" by Malevich
- 20.11.2018 Living artists: top sales The ranking of the most expensive works of living artists — is design, talking about the role and place of the artist in art history is much less than on the age and health of the fortress
- 06.03.2019 "The year of theatre in the village of Peremilovo" In Theatrical gallery on Malaya Ordynka opened a personal exhibition of Vladimir Lyubarova
- 06.03.2019 Paintings and drawings by Anatoly Zverev gallery "vellum" On 24 February at the New Museum Aslan chehova (SPb) ended the great exhibition "Anatoly Zverev. Painting. Graphics". Most of the exposure can now be seen in Moscow
- 05.03.2019 Vladimir Kalinin in the Antique centre on the Garden For the first time in the exhibition space managed to collect more than 50 works 1960-80-х years from a private collection
- 28.02.2019 Images of women & women-художницы at exhibitions of the Russian Museum in Malaga Branch timing in the Spanish city of Malaga has opened three exhibitions: "Saints, Queens, and workers. The image of women in Russian art", "Russian artist. At the intersection of tradition and avant-garde" and "Graphics Russian artists from the collection of Christine Gmurzynska"
- 28.02.2019 "The aristocratic portrait in Russia of the XVIII — beginning of the XX century" Exhibition in the State Historical Museum presents the 120 scenic portraits painted by Rokotov, Levitsky, Borovikovsky, Tropinin, Serov and other
Login for subscribers
- 1. Mark Rothko$86,83 million
- 2. Kazimir Malevich$85,81 million
- 3. Wassily Kandinsky$41,6 million
- 4. Marc Chagall$28,45 million
- 5. Chaim Soutine$28,16 million
- 6. Alexei Jawlensky$18,59 million
- 7. Valentin Serov$14,51 million
- 8. Nicolas de Staël$12,12 million
- 9. Nicholas Roerich$12,09 million
- 10. Natalia Goncharova$10,88 million
- 11. Nicolai Fechin$10,84 million
- 12. Tamara de Lempicka$9,09 million
- 13. Ilya Repin$7,43 million
- 14. Konstantin Somov$7,33 million
- 15. Ilya Mashkov$7,25 million
- 16. Boris Kustodiev$7,07 million
- 17. Vasily Polenov$6,34 million
- 18. Yuri Annenkov$6,27 million
- 19. Vasily Vereshchagin$6,15 million
- 20. Zinaida Serebriakova$5,85 million
- 21. Ilya Kabakov$5,83 million
- 22. Alexander Yakovlev$5,56 million
- 23. Konstantin Makovsky$5,47 million
- 24. Wladimir Baranoff-Rossine$5,37 million
- 25. Ivan Aivazovsky$5,34 million
- 26. Vladimir Borovikovsky$5,02 million
- 27. Alexander Rodchenko$4,5 million
- 28. Sonia Delaunay$4,34 million
- 29. Mikhail Nesterov$4,30 million
- 30. Vera Rockline$4,04 million
- 31. Paul Kuznecov$3,97 million
- 32. Boris Grigoriev$3,72 million