"Russian week" — 2019 in London: statistics, facts. Predictions?
ARTinvestment.RU 26 мая 2020
On the eve of the opening of the Russian trading AI reminds about British sales of domestic artists in the previous auction season.
Today, may 26, 2020, officially starts the traditional summer Russian week auctions in London. The complete schedule AI published earlier, and today we offer you to recall the memorable "Russian week" in 2019.
table 1. Sales of art during the "Russian weeks" in the British auctions, 2017-2019
|the company||the Volume of sales, million us $||All the lots, pieces||Sold|
|the whole year||78,82||2 338||1 568||67|
|the whole year||76,01||2 295||1 467||64|
|2019||June||of 46.35||1 175||721||61|
|November||of 45.61||1 254||743||59|
|the whole year||91,96||2 429||1 464||60|
|Dynamics 2017-2019, %||16,68||3,89||-6,63||-10,02|
After a decline in sales of Russian art in 2015-2016 caused by the sanctions against Russia and economic instability in 2017 to "Russian weeks" in London there has been a revival. From 2017 to 2019, the volume of sales of Russian art at auction themed the four major London auction houses — Christie's, Sotheby's, MacDougall's and Bonhams — has grown by 16.68 %. In the first year, the auction of 2019 sales of 2.6% exceeded the result of the previous auction held in November 2018. However, careful experts associated with it sale of "still life with lilacs" by Kuzma Petrov-Водкина at Christie's auction for $11,76 million, which provided 25% of the total turnover of the British summer and became third at a cost of the work when-либо sold at the "Russian weeks". Overall, the average price range was a little more unsold lots than in the 2017-2018 seasons, and among the realized works was allocated objects with good provenance and for a long time does not appear in the public sale. The positive price dynamics showed works by artists-нонконформистов and modern Russian writers, a lot of acquisitions were made in the segment of Soviet porcelain. The total amount sold in June 2019 in London of Russian art totaled $of 46.34 million.
In the second half of 2019, at the November "Russian weeks" was billed at 7 % of the lots more than in June, but sold 2% less — 61 % versus 59 %. Smaller same 2 % was found and the resulting sales — $45.61 million For according to, given by Simon Hewitt for the publication of Russian Art Culture, the results of the November 2019 in terms of sales took 17-е place among 25 of "Russian weeks", held since 2007. Top-работой half of the year was "Spherical Suprematism" Ivan kljuna, sold Sotheby's for $6.26 million the total result of the auction of 2019 was the highest for the last 5 years: $91,96 million, primarily due to the successfulthe June auction of the week were traditionally inferior to the indicators of November. Christie's, pulling ahead during the summer "Russian weeks", at the end of the year lost in the volume of sales of Russian art Sotheby's, which in November showed a very impressive increase in the June figures, while the number of lots sold at Sotheby's was below its main competitor. In sum, as Sotheby's and Christie's have secured 84 % of the total annual revenue of the major London auction houses (Christie's, Sotheby's, MacDougall's and Bonhams), representing Russian art.
table 2. Sales of Russian art in four thematic auction of the leading auction houses, 2019
|the auction house||the lots Sold, %||sales $|
|Sotheby's||70||39 300 435|
|Christie's||73||36 249 000|
|MacDougall's||45||12 300 216|
|Bonhams||48||4 063 500|
What else was remarkable in 2019, so it is a successful re-sales, some of which AI , wrote a few months earlier. In particular, the leader at the compound annual growth cost (CAGR) was Pavel tchelitchew, whose work "the Sad clown" was sold at Christie's for $41.7 thousand: including 20-летнего period of ownership, acquired in 1999 for $3.6 million the painting brought the owner of 53 % per annum (excluding maintenance expenses Commission on sales, and other negative flux). Note that 7 of the 10 most expensive lots of 2019 was created in the first third of the XX century.
the Current "Russian week" have the most difficult period — partial exit from quarantine. On the one hand, we have learned to operate your life from the comfort of home, with the other — were waiting for the September Art Basel and viennacontemporary slowly to make expensive purchases online. Even the "week" lasted more than a month — transferred from (according to the official version, from-за technical problems) may auction MacDougall's to the July sales at Christie's (which monitors "breakdown of the pen" competition). If Russian sales have historically occurred in March-апреле and they canceled or postponed — is possible for further development of the market that would be better. The upcoming "Russian week" will be in all senses is unreliable. Will success — them write off to the hedonistic tired of collectors from the quarantine by misfortune — will meet her crisis. Will be indicative only first trades in live-режиме, with open borders and established air travel — and civil logistics.
However, — together watch and buy.
When quoting reference to the https://artinvestment.ru without fail
Attention! All materials of the site and database of auction results ARTinvestment.RU, including illustrated reference information about the works sold at auctions, are intended for use exclusively for informational, scientific, educational and cultural purposes in accordance with Art. 1274 of the Civil Code. Use for commercial purposes or in violation of the rules established by the Civil Code of the Russian Federation is not allowed. ARTinvestment.RU is not responsible for the content of materials submitted by third parties. In case of violation of the rights of third parties, the site administration reserves the right to remove them from the site and from the database on the basis of an application from an authorized body.
- 09.07.2020 This year's first evening auction at Sotheby's in Hong Kong has raised more than $107 million In Hong Kong dollars, the end of the first evening sale of contemporary Asian art looks even more impressive: 826 million HKD
- 09.07.2020 Jeff Koons, Gagosian Gallery and art-институции the United States received millions of dollars from the state Assistance was obtained in the framework of PPP (Paycheck Protection Program), designed to ensure that the organization was able to maintain its staff
- 08.07.2020 The Rodin Museum in Paris sell bronze sculpture to cover the losses Sales of limited edition castings of the works of Rodin, the Museum plans to earn not less than €3 million a year
- 08.07.2020 The heir of the dynasty of collectors Joe Nahmad is suing the auction house Phillips The dispute centered on the cancellation of the guarantee on the painting, owned by the Nahmad and it's for sale
- 07.07.2020 Large-scale digital platform will bring together European masters decorative-прикладного art Project Homo Faber Guide, the launch of which is scheduled for September 17, 2020, will bring together more than 650 artists from 25 countries of Europe, including Russia
- 03.08.2018 Торги «Антиквариума» 28 июля. Краткие итоги Наторговали на 3,6 миллиона рублей — 131 % от эстимейта. Одним из топ-лотов стала работа Владимира Немухина, проданная за 240 тысяч
- 25.07.2018 Очередной аукцион #всёпорублю в «Литфонде» принес почти 4,5 млн.руб. Топ-лотом стала икона «Богоматерь Владимирская» — 600 тыс. руб.
- 24.07.2018 «Русская Эмаль» торжественно закрывает сезон и уходит в отпуск На завершающих торгах 14 июля «Русская эмаль» порадовала участников Кандинским, целой коллекцией нэцкэ и произведениями Пыжовой
- 16.07.2018 Краткие итоги сороковых живописных торгов «Кабинета» Аукционный дом «Кабинет» проводит последние торги сезона и уходит в отпуск до осени, вслед за своими игроками
- 03.07.2018 Коротко о главном: итоги аукциона 28 июня в «Литфонде» Рейтинг возглавляют классики русской литературы, а сказочники продолжают удивлять
- 03.07.2020 Literature: Gigi Rosenberg. The Artist's Guide to Grant Writing Book for artists, the most often disappearing from the shelf chef-редактора ARTinvestment.RU
- 02.07.2020 Movies: "Exit through the gift shop" The pseudo-documentary film that made street-арт of marginal flow part of the global contemporary art market
- 01.07.2020 The person of the week: Dasha Delone Delaunay to a greater extent than anyone-либо from contemporary artists, can be described as expressive personality. Her work, her life — is the obvious ability to Express themselves clearly
- 01.07.2020 XXII open auction "twenty-first century. Contemporary Russian art" In: Azam Atakhanov, Andrey Bisti, Dasha Delaunay, Natalia Zhernovskaya, Igor Kislitsyn Olga Pushkareva, Kate-Анна Taguchi, Natalia Turnova, Yury Shabelnikov and Yuri Horovsky, Tatiana Yang
- 30.06.2020 The art market 2020-2021: forecast from Bank of America One of the largest banks in the United States shared their vision of the future of art-рынка
- 07.07.2020 In the State Tretyakov gallery opened the exhibition "Nevsegda. 1968-1985" Exhibition — part of the trilogy initiated by the project "the Thaw" (2017), will be held at the New Tretyakov gallery from 7 July to 11 October 2020
- 17.06.2020 Exhibition of modern Russian art "Unmoscow" will be held in August in the St. Petersburg Manege Supervisors under the leadership of Antonio Gauzy selected works of 80 authors from different regions of Russia. Part of the exhibits created especially for the exhibition
- 10.06.2020 In Italy after the quarantine was renewed exhibition of "Sfumato" George Cooper Exhibition in the halls of the Academy of fine arts of Florence, dedicated to the 80-летнему anniversary of the artist, will run until 5 July 2020
- 24.04.2020 Tretyakov gallery: exhibition of Andy Warhol will take place! A large-scale exhibition", Andy Warhol" was supposed to open today, and promised to become one of the Museum's hits of the year
- 14.04.2020 The Museum has extended the jubilee and went online Large-scale exhibition project, opened in December 2019, will run for 4 months longer — to mid-September 2020
Login for subscribers
- 1. Jeff Koons$91,07 million
- 2. David Hockney$90,3 million
- 3. Gerhard Richter$46,3 million
- 4. Cui Zhuchzho$39,57 million
- 5. Jasper Johns$36 million
- 6. Ed Ruscha$30,4 million
- 7. Christopher Wool$29,9 million
- 8. Peter Doig$28,81 million
- 9. Frank Stella$28 million
- 10. Yoshitomo Nara$24,95 million
- 11. Zeng Fanzhi$23,3 million
- 12. Robert Ryman$20,6 million
- 13. Damien Hirst$19,2 million
- 14. Maurizio Cattelan$17,19 million
- 15. Mark Grotjahn$16,8 million
- 16. Takashi Murakami$15,16 million
- 17. KAWS$14,7 million
- 18. Jin Shangyi$13,89 million
- 19. Banksy$12,14 million
- 20. John Currin$12 million
- 21. Brice Marden$10,917 million
- 22. Pierre Soulages$10,6 million
- 23. Zhang Xiaogang$10,16 million
- 24. Bruce Nauman$9,9 million