Christie's 12 November: the leaders, Jean-Michel Basque and Yaei Kusama
ARTinvestment.RU 13 ноября 2008
Auction Christie's November 12, the most suitable epithet «unexpected»: and were unfulfilled expectations, and unexpected failures, and unexpected records
Evening bidding works of postwar and contemporary art Christie's, took place yesterday in New York , not met the expectations of the organizers. The amount of the proceeds from sales - 113.6 million dollars - was only about half of the lower estimeyta at 227-321 million. Two lots went under the hammer more than 10 million dollars. More than a million customers were willing to pay for 32 of the lot.
But without the personal records did not come. The author of one of them was Japanese artist Yaei Kusama (Yayoi Kusama) . One of the few of her works, abstract No. 2 (1959), was sold for 5.79 million dollars, with estimeyte of 2,5-3,5 million (by the way, in the Top-5 on the auction turnover among living artists in 2007, Kusama Yaei I took a seat with the result of 8 099 508 pounds ).
Success Yaei Kusama was one of the few bright moments of the auction. This failure has become a failed sale of one of the top auction lots, «Etude to self» hand of Francis Bacon (Francis Bacon). Organizers had planned for him to gain at least 40 million dollars, but the maximum price offered was only 27.5 million, and the lot was never sold.
Unexpected Surprise taught organizers «abstract picture» Gerhard Richter (Gerhard Richter), who went under the hammer for 14.87 million dollars with estimeyte to 12 million. However, it is still not able to beat the previous record Richter - 16 million dollars per picture «candle» .
«Untitled» ( «boxer»), Jean-Michel Basque (Jean -Michel Basquiat) from the collection of an American musician Lars Ulrich (Lars Ulrich) was also among the leaders of the auction. She inherited a buyer for 13.52 million dollars and a little bit not reached the previous record artist set in 2007 - 14.6 million for the painting «Untitled».
Among the lots, which never found their customers were three works by Andy Warhol (Andy Warhol), a rare sculpture by David Smith (David Smith), entitled «Circles and angles of» (estimeyt 6-8 million dollars) as well as «Constellation and red knife» Koldera Alexander (Alexander Calder, estimeyt 3-4 million).
From 16 works of abstract expressionists , including works by Willem de Kuninga (Willem de Kooning), Barnett Newman (Barnett Newman), Arshila Slides (Arshile Gorky) and Agnes Martin (Agnes Martin), to the new owners have moved, not all. However, those that were sold, the owner brought 13.5 million dollars in the initial expert evaluation of 15-20 million dollars. Previously, was informed that these pictures were exhibited at the auction tail Kathy (Kathy Fuld), the first ladies of the recently bankrupt bank Lehman Brothers Robert tail (Robert Fuld).
Christie's, like its main competitor, the auction house Sotheby's, which held auctions of contemporary art works by 11 November , suffered significant losses because of the guarantees issued. This is primarily due to the fact that the estimated value shall be determined before the beginning of a dramatic financial decline in September was higher than the amounts that buyers were willing to pay in the current crisis. According to some New York art dealer, «Etude to self» Francis Bacon, no doubt, would have been sold, and for a lot of money, just six months ago. And at the moment, the assessment and the expectations have fallen about 30 percent. However, buyers remain on the market, and this is encouraging.
material produced Catherine Onuchin
When quoting reference to the https://artinvestment.ru without fail
Attention! All materials of the site and database of auction results ARTinvestment.RU, including illustrated reference information about the works sold at auctions, are intended for use exclusively for informational, scientific, educational and cultural purposes in accordance with Art. 1274 of the Civil Code. Use for commercial purposes or in violation of the rules established by the Civil Code of the Russian Federation is not allowed. ARTinvestment.RU is not responsible for the content of materials submitted by third parties. In case of violation of the rights of third parties, the site administration reserves the right to remove them from the site and from the database on the basis of an application from an authorized body.
- 16.08.2022 Расследование ФБР подрывает репутацию Художественного музея Орландо Отменены три выставки, из собрания отозваны отдельные работы
- 14.08.2020 Face mask for $1.5 million In this sum cost the unnamed "billionaire from Shanghai" ordering a mask of gold and diamonds from the jewelry company Yvel
- 14.08.2020 A special contract for buyers of art of authors of African descent For fight against speculators, Christie's has developed a list of conditions of purchase
- 13.08.2020 Cultural institution in the U.S. last year spent $7.9 billion This year a repeat result is not obtained – loss of art-индустрии the United States already amounted to $150 billion And this is not the final figure
- 13.08.2020 Biography Yayoi Kusama will be released as a graphic novel With the history of one of the most successful contemporary artists in the form of a comic book will be available from 15 September 2020
- 03.08.2018 Торги «Антиквариума» 28 июля. Краткие итоги Наторговали на 3,6 миллиона рублей — 131 % от эстимейта. Одним из топ-лотов стала работа Владимира Немухина, проданная за 240 тысяч
- 25.07.2018 Очередной аукцион #всёпорублю в «Литфонде» принес почти 4,5 млн.руб. Топ-лотом стала икона «Богоматерь Владимирская» — 600 тыс. руб.
- 24.07.2018 «Русская Эмаль» торжественно закрывает сезон и уходит в отпуск На завершающих торгах 14 июля «Русская эмаль» порадовала участников Кандинским, целой коллекцией нэцкэ и произведениями Пыжовой
- 16.07.2018 Краткие итоги сороковых живописных торгов «Кабинета» Аукционный дом «Кабинет» проводит последние торги сезона и уходит в отпуск до осени, вслед за своими игроками
- 03.07.2018 Коротко о главном: итоги аукциона 28 июня в «Литфонде» Рейтинг возглавляют классики русской литературы, а сказочники продолжают удивлять
- 12.08.2020 Literature: Piroska Dossey. Sold! The book is about the phenomenon of pricing, the original title of which was ahead of its time in a decade
- 07.08.2020 Movies: "the Cool school" The emergence of abstract expressionism on the West coast of the United States the voice of the Big Lebowski
- 31.07.2020 10 most unusual ArtTech-стартапов 2020. Part 1 AI talks about young companies whose ideas have become especially popular with the onset of the quarantine
- 30.07.2020 "Russian week" in 2020, London: facts, figures and key findings AI collected basic information at the end of the summer series of Russian sales in London
- 29.07.2020 Literature: Еkaterina Dorozhkina. Zero Budget Marketing A practical book about the importance of marketing in terms of when people and companies have limited resources
- 17.06.2022 Выставка Люси Вороновой в галерее Atelier CHOUTKO На выставке будут представлены живописные произведения Вороновой разных лет и состоится премьера ковра ручной работы, созданного художницей совместно с Atelier CHOUTKO
- 14.03.2022 Эрмитаж потребовал досрочно вернуть работы, участвующие в итальянских выставках В Россию в ближайшее время вернутся около 25 картин
- 30.07.2020 In Saint-Петербурге opened the exhibition "Artists and collectors — to the Russian Museum. Gifts. 1898-2019. Favorites" The exhibition, held simultaneously on all the main belt, has collected more than 1,500 items donated to the Museum since the founding of the
- 27.07.2020 Fedor Rokotov exhibition opens at Historical Museum of Moscow A collection of works of the famous Russian portrait painter XVIII veka will showcase on 29 July 2020
- 07.07.2020 In the State Tretyakov gallery opened the exhibition "Nevsegda. 1968-1985" Exhibition — part of the trilogy initiated by the project "the Thaw" (2017), will be held at the New Tretyakov gallery from 7 July to 11 October 2020
Login for subscribers
- 1. Alberto Giacometti$141,7 million
- 2. Damien Hirst$100 million
- 3. Constantin Brâncuși$71 million
- 4. Amedeo Modigliani$70,7 million
- 5. Jeff Koons$58,4 million
- 6. Unknown artist$57.2 million
- 7. Henri Matisse$48,8 million
- 8. Paul Gauguin$30,96 million
- 9. Henry Moore$30,1 million
- 10. Willem de Kooning$29,28 million
- 11. Pablo Picasso$29,2 million
- 12. Unknown artist$28,6 million
- 13. Louise Bourgeois$28.16 million
- 14. Adrian de Vries$27,9 million
- 15. Alexander Calder$25,9 million
- 16. Unknown artist$23,826 million
- 17. David Smith$23,816 million
- 18. Yves Klein$22 million
- 19. Auguste Rodin$20,41 million
- 20. Unknown artist$19,1 million
- 21. Edgar Degas$18,82 million
- 22. Maurizio Cattelan$17,19 million
- 23. Unknown artist$16,88 million
- 24. Takashi Murakami$15,16 million
- 25. Donald Judd$14,16 million
- 26. Unknown artist$11,64 million
- 27. Antonio Canova$11,5 million
- 28. Bruce Nauman$9,9 million
- 29. Aristide Maillol$8,32 million
- 30. Unknown artist$8,146 million
- 31. Cy Twombly$7,7 million
- 32. Julio Gonzalez$7,45 million
- 33. Marino Marini$7,15 million
- 34. Urs Fischer$6,8 million