«Suprematist composition» Malevitch at Sotheby's. Three days before the record
ARTinvestment.RU 31 октября 2008
Three days later, on 3 November 2008, at Sotheby's auction with a record result will be sold to one of the rarest and most likely the most expensive work in the history of Russian art
Three days later, on 3 November 2008, at Sotheby's auction with a record result will be sold to one of the rarest and most likely the most expensive work in the history of Russian art.
How much confidence? Because no options. After all, to bid as a result of incredible multi-restorative combination enters the picture, representing the most valuable period of a recognized in the West, Russian artist, had a significant influence on the ideology of the art world in the XX century. Perhaps, and enough with the epithets. On both sides of the ocean in general is three words: Malevich, Suprematist compositions. Well, maybe add a couple of phrases: a legally perfect, without any doubt the authenticity. The rest, and so clear: that the chance to buy works of this class gets every 20-30-50 years old, and that they may actually cost any money - because of rarity and of great significance, and so on. That is why guaranteed irrevocable bid to $ 60 million, which made an anonymous foreigner who is perceived as only really start. There are 100 and 120 million dollars, why not? For one and a half - three million dollars for each of the nearly forty heirs, for whom the work will be sold. Although I would be more likely to put the figure at 75 million dollars.
Interestingly, «Suprematist composition» - this is not the last chance for collectors and investors.
The fact that five masterpieces Malevitch certainly come to the auction, the world learned 24 April 2008. On that day it was announced that the agreement between the City of Amsterdam and the heirs of Kazimir Malevich at the avant-gardist of controversial works from the collection of Stedelijk Museum. New York law firm Herrick, Feinstein LLP, represents the interests of the heirs, made the transfer of five major works from the museum collection.
It is believed that the Stedeliyk Muzium was a bona fide purchaser of the work. In 1958 they were legally purchased from the architect Hugo Heringa. Then it turned out that Hering had no right to dispose of them as his property. This reminded lawyers and heirs. At first the situation seemed a stalemate: on the Dutch laws because of the lapse of time from the perspectives of legal action in Europe was not. But lawyers have found a loophole and built «Malevitch» ambush. As part of the collection Stedeliyka, 14 paintings, left in 2003 for exhibition in the States (in New York's Guggenheim and the Houston Menil Collection), started in attack. In the States the work of Stedeliyka become vulnerable.
Why «dokopalis» to Stedeliyka? We know that there is the greatest and most significant collection of works by Malevich. It consists not only of the works for the Berlin exhibition of 1927, but part of the collection of Nicholas Hardzhieva and his wife Lilia chaga. The same collection with the archive, which has been unofficially removed from the USSR in 1990 and also gave rise to legal disputes, but that's another story. The battle unfolded just outside the picture to the Berlin Exhibition of 1927. For Malevich, it was «a breakthrough to the West», a rare opportunity to express their ideas in priority, so work for her, he chose with great care. Malevich was already feared that his work and innovative solutions can be concealed by the Soviet regime from the world community. And this was for good reason - the permission to travel abroad has proved to last.
From the press publications of Investigation managed to gather the following picture. In the Berlin of his Leningrad studio Malevitch brought about a hundred works, including some seventy paintings. But even before the expiry of the travel Malevitch telegram suddenly aroused back in the country. In anticipation of wrong, but still hoping to return, Malevich left their work for the storage architect Hugo Heringu. But take them Malevich was not destined to: abroad he is not allowed until his death in 1935. Upon completion of the work of Hering sent Suprematists deposited museum director Alexander Dorner Hanover. It is them and then saw the MOMA director Alfred Barr, which is taken in Europe, the material for the exhibition «Cubism and abstract art». Ostensibly believing Dorner authorized manager of the works, Barr bought him two pictures and a couple of pictures. A further seventeen works selected for exhibition in New York. (In different documents the number of different, but now it is not important.) According to other sources, Dorner had to be at any price to get a visa to leave Germany, and is believed that the paintings of Malevich used as an argument in this matter.
Somehow miraculously managed to ship the goods abroad. The historical landscape was such that the Nazis have one's heart hinged labels «degenerative art». Already there were confiscated, and even your purchased, Malevich, who also represented the «art of degeneration», Director Barr the passage across the border secretly, hidden in the paintings umbrella. Three years after the events described and the very Dorner had to emigrate to the United States, taking with them a picture and drawing. And the rest - back Hugo Heringu from which all started. What would later say about Heringe, but he still managed to safely hide paintings and drawings, and to preserve the legacy of Malevich in the military liholetya.
Then, in 1958, recalling the work done, Heringa were bought by Dutch museum. So Stedeliyke was smart selection Suprematist oils mid 1910-ies (size 70 x 60, and sometimes m), 1913-1914 kubisticheskie song's and other valuable works. All finished, high-quality masterpieces.
In the meantime work uplyvshie with Barry over the ocean, are regularly exhibited in the MOMA. In 1963, when nearly three decades, none of the heirs are not told of their rights, they become part of the permanent museum collection. Problems began in 1993 when the Soviet Union after the collapse of the heirs of Malevich, with the assistance of the German art historian Clemens Toussaint initiated negotiations with the MOMA on the return of works. As a result
The fate of same otsuzhennoy in 1999 from MOMA «Suprematist song» was clear as soon as God's day. Already in May 2000 at Phillips auction in New York, oil on canvas sold for 17 million dollars ( line 5 in the rating of the most expensive paintings Russian artists ) against the expected ten million. Perhaps this experience, and taught the heirs continue to monetary compensation does not change - to take pictures profitable.
Malevich - one of the forges artists. Relatively safe to work with his belongings (usually graphics) may be only a very experienced kollekitsonery. It is therefore important that the work otsuzhennye heirs, will not simply with Iron provenansom, but now the whole «white», from a legal point of view: the new owner can no longer terrorize the claims, playing on the dubious origin (eg, tortured Andrew Lloyd Webber, with its «Portrait of Angel Fernandez de Soto »(1903) painted by Picasso ). Completely legal Malevitch, released from a dark past - it is a huge rarity in the market, that is the thing that has the highest liquidity. Buy it securely from all points of view. And benefit from all points of view. As stated, this thing «to a wide range of readers», even in art does not necessarily understand. So the record is not long to wait. Total is for three days.
Vladimir Bogdanov ,
When quoting reference to the https://artinvestment.ru without fail
- 23.11.2017 What kind of pictures gives Putin Paintings — is one of the most frequent gifts that the President gives for the camera. In the week he congratulated the Patriarch on his birthday, again giving a picture — with the decoration of the assumption Cathedral of the Kremlin. Remember that even Putin gave famous people
- 23.11.2017 Estonian post released a stamp with a painting of the sixties Hulot Sooster The stamp on the envelope Estonian designer has placed a reproduction of the painting "Fairy tale forest" in 1962 the brush of the legendary sixties from Sretenskaya group
- 22.11.2017 Of the French Museum stole the painting Giorgio de Chirico "Composition with self-portrait" was stolen from the Museum of Fabrega in Beziers in the South of France
- 15.11.2017 Russia's only canvas by Caravaggio cleared from bad edits The Hermitage painting "Young man with a lute (the lute player") returned to the St. Petersburg Museum after two years of restoration and cleaning
- 07.11.2017 The Tretyakov gallery has presented work Helium Korzheva A meeting of 33 picturesque and graphic works 2 Helium Korzheva was donated to the Museum by the collector Vladimir Nekrasov
- 24.11.2017 Contemporary art at auction "Russian enamel" November 29 In the catalogue of 114 lots (paintings, drawings, photography, objects, sculpture), totaling more than 11 million rubles. Price range of works — from 700 to 7 700 000 rubles
- 21.11.2017 Auction # 20 in the "Antique book club" At the first session of play graphics, painting, posters and postcards, the second — book rarity. Pre-show open
- 21.11.2017 Opened 205-е the Auction Traditional twenty lots — is eleven paintings, four sheets of original graphics and five works executed in mixed media
- 17.11.2017 In the footsteps of great expeditions and discoveries... November 23 auction house "Russian enamel" will hold with "Expedition" a joint auction. The event will be held in the restaurant of the Russian North "Expedition" Singing in the alley
- 17.11.2017 Rare books, manuscripts, autographs and photographs at auction "In the Nikita" In the directory — 489 lots. The auction will be held on November 23. Auction start at 19:00
- 24.11.2017 7.5 times higher than the start of a rare icon in the art Nouveau style at the auction "Russian enamel" The hammer price of the icon "St. George the victorious" has reached 450 thousand. from the start of 60 thousand. These and other results of the auction of Russian and Western European art of the 18th Nov in our review
- 21.11.2017 Soviet unofficial art in "Auction No. 1" on November 18. A brief summary The auction catalog of 142-х lots were sold almost 40% and brought a total of slightly more than 4 million rubles
- 21.11.2017 Picture of David Shterenberg in 12 times exceeded the estimate at the auction "Russian enamel" 3.2 million rubles were paid for the "portrait" painted by David Shterenberg (1881-1948) at the start from 250 thousand. A total auction of paintings, graphics and decorative-прикладного art in "Russian enamel" November 16, brought more than 8 million rubles
- 16.11.2017 The most expensive artists in the world. Top auction results The rating of the most expensive artists in the world headed by Leonardo Da Vinci, and ends with Paul Cezanne. The difference in price between the first and last positions of the ranking of the top-19 — 389,8 million dollars
- 16.11.2017 The most expensive sculptures in the world. Rating Argued that the sculpture is always cheaper than the picture... It is not. Three-dimensional works are also able to bring are just mind-blowing amount!
- 23.11.2017 Vechtomov, Plavinsky, Grositsky and other... From 29 November to 29 December, the gallery "Dolgorukovskaya, 29" and Alexander Mironov represent art-проект "Us(R)taught to life"
- 16.11.2017 In the Tretyakov gallery opens exhibition of Saryan A large exhibition in Lavrushinsky lane will present 29 beautiful works of Martiros Sergeyevich Saryan (1880-1972) from the collections of the state Tretyakov gallery, the National gallery of Armenia and at Home-музея of Martiros Saryan in Yerevan
- 14.11.2017 "Quitprogram" gallery "vellum" In the framework of the "Quitprogram" will be held an exhibition "Symbolism and non-conformism", a concert of Alexei Paperny, the lecture of Valery Dudakov
- 14.11.2017 The exhibition El Lissitzky opens in two museums Today, 14 November the opening of the exhibitions of El Lissitzky in the State Tretyakov gallery on the Crimean Shaft and in the Jewish Museum and tolerance center
- 09.11.2017 Sean Scully in the Multimedia Art Museum In Moscow, the Museum of the artist, is a retrospective of the international stars of contemporary art Sean Scully. The exhibition show of abstraction, created in 1960-х years
Login for subscribers
- 1. Jeff Koons$58,4 million
- 2. Gerhard Richter$46,3 million
- 3. Cui Zhuchzho$39,57 million
- 4. Jasper Johns$36 million
- 5. Ed Ruscha$30,4 million
- 6. Christopher Wool$29,9 million
- 7. Peter Doig$25,9 million
- 8. Zeng Fanzhi$23,3 million
- 9. Robert Ryman$20,6 million
- 10. Damien Hirst$19,2 million
- 11. Maurizio Cattelan$17,19 million
- 12. Mark Grotjahn$16,8 million
- 13. Takashi Murakami$15,16 million
- 14. Jin Shangyi$13,89 million
- 15. Frank Stella$13,69 million
- 16. John Currin$12 million
- 17. David Hockney$11,7 million
- 18. Brice Marden$10,917 million
- 19. Zhang Xiaogang$10,16 million
- 20. Bruce Nauman$9,9 million