«Suprematist composition» Malevitch at Sotheby's. Three days before the record
ARTinvestment.RU 31 октября 2008
Three days later, on 3 November 2008, at Sotheby's auction with a record result will be sold to one of the rarest and most likely the most expensive work in the history of Russian art
Three days later, on 3 November 2008, at Sotheby's auction with a record result will be sold to one of the rarest and most likely the most expensive work in the history of Russian art.
How much confidence? Because no options. After all, to bid as a result of incredible multi-restorative combination enters the picture, representing the most valuable period of a recognized in the West, Russian artist, had a significant influence on the ideology of the art world in the XX century. Perhaps, and enough with the epithets. On both sides of the ocean in general is three words: Malevich, Suprematist compositions. Well, maybe add a couple of phrases: a legally perfect, without any doubt the authenticity. The rest, and so clear: that the chance to buy works of this class gets every 20-30-50 years old, and that they may actually cost any money - because of rarity and of great significance, and so on. That is why guaranteed irrevocable bid to $ 60 million, which made an anonymous foreigner who is perceived as only really start. There are 100 and 120 million dollars, why not? For one and a half - three million dollars for each of the nearly forty heirs, for whom the work will be sold. Although I would be more likely to put the figure at 75 million dollars.
Interestingly, «Suprematist composition» - this is not the last chance for collectors and investors.
The fact that five masterpieces Malevitch certainly come to the auction, the world learned 24 April 2008. On that day it was announced that the agreement between the City of Amsterdam and the heirs of Kazimir Malevich at the avant-gardist of controversial works from the collection of Stedelijk Museum. New York law firm Herrick, Feinstein LLP, represents the interests of the heirs, made the transfer of five major works from the museum collection.
It is believed that the Stedeliyk Muzium was a bona fide purchaser of the work. In 1958 they were legally purchased from the architect Hugo Heringa. Then it turned out that Hering had no right to dispose of them as his property. This reminded lawyers and heirs. At first the situation seemed a stalemate: on the Dutch laws because of the lapse of time from the perspectives of legal action in Europe was not. But lawyers have found a loophole and built «Malevitch» ambush. As part of the collection Stedeliyka, 14 paintings, left in 2003 for exhibition in the States (in New York's Guggenheim and the Houston Menil Collection), started in attack. In the States the work of Stedeliyka become vulnerable.
Why «dokopalis» to Stedeliyka? We know that there is the greatest and most significant collection of works by Malevich. It consists not only of the works for the Berlin exhibition of 1927, but part of the collection of Nicholas Hardzhieva and his wife Lilia chaga. The same collection with the archive, which has been unofficially removed from the USSR in 1990 and also gave rise to legal disputes, but that's another story. The battle unfolded just outside the picture to the Berlin Exhibition of 1927. For Malevich, it was «a breakthrough to the West», a rare opportunity to express their ideas in priority, so work for her, he chose with great care. Malevich was already feared that his work and innovative solutions can be concealed by the Soviet regime from the world community. And this was for good reason - the permission to travel abroad has proved to last.
From the press publications of Investigation managed to gather the following picture. In the Berlin of his Leningrad studio Malevitch brought about a hundred works, including some seventy paintings. But even before the expiry of the travel Malevitch telegram suddenly aroused back in the country. In anticipation of wrong, but still hoping to return, Malevich left their work for the storage architect Hugo Heringu. But take them Malevich was not destined to: abroad he is not allowed until his death in 1935. Upon completion of the work of Hering sent Suprematists deposited museum director Alexander Dorner Hanover. It is them and then saw the MOMA director Alfred Barr, which is taken in Europe, the material for the exhibition «Cubism and abstract art». Ostensibly believing Dorner authorized manager of the works, Barr bought him two pictures and a couple of pictures. A further seventeen works selected for exhibition in New York. (In different documents the number of different, but now it is not important.) According to other sources, Dorner had to be at any price to get a visa to leave Germany, and is believed that the paintings of Malevich used as an argument in this matter.
Somehow miraculously managed to ship the goods abroad. The historical landscape was such that the Nazis have one's heart hinged labels «degenerative art». Already there were confiscated, and even your purchased, Malevich, who also represented the «art of degeneration», Director Barr the passage across the border secretly, hidden in the paintings umbrella. Three years after the events described and the very Dorner had to emigrate to the United States, taking with them a picture and drawing. And the rest - back Hugo Heringu from which all started. What would later say about Heringe, but he still managed to safely hide paintings and drawings, and to preserve the legacy of Malevich in the military liholetya.
Then, in 1958, recalling the work done, Heringa were bought by Dutch museum. So Stedeliyke was smart selection Suprematist oils mid 1910-ies (size 70 x 60, and sometimes m), 1913-1914 kubisticheskie song's and other valuable works. All finished, high-quality masterpieces.
In the meantime work uplyvshie with Barry over the ocean, are regularly exhibited in the MOMA. In 1963, when nearly three decades, none of the heirs are not told of their rights, they become part of the permanent museum collection. Problems began in 1993 when the Soviet Union after the collapse of the heirs of Malevich, with the assistance of the German art historian Clemens Toussaint initiated negotiations with the MOMA on the return of works. As a result
The fate of same otsuzhennoy in 1999 from MOMA «Suprematist song» was clear as soon as God's day. Already in May 2000 at Phillips auction in New York, oil on canvas sold for 17 million dollars ( line 5 in the rating of the most expensive paintings Russian artists ) against the expected ten million. Perhaps this experience, and taught the heirs continue to monetary compensation does not change - to take pictures profitable.
Malevich - one of the forges artists. Relatively safe to work with his belongings (usually graphics) may be only a very experienced kollekitsonery. It is therefore important that the work otsuzhennye heirs, will not simply with Iron provenansom, but now the whole «white», from a legal point of view: the new owner can no longer terrorize the claims, playing on the dubious origin (eg, tortured Andrew Lloyd Webber, with its «Portrait of Angel Fernandez de Soto »(1903) painted by Picasso ). Completely legal Malevitch, released from a dark past - it is a huge rarity in the market, that is the thing that has the highest liquidity. Buy it securely from all points of view. And benefit from all points of view. As stated, this thing «to a wide range of readers», even in art does not necessarily understand. So the record is not long to wait. Total is for three days.
Vladimir Bogdanov ,
When quoting reference to the https://artinvestment.ru without fail
- 21.03.2017 "Unknown masterpieces" from private collections will be shown at the Cultural Forum in the Arena Moscow cultural forum will take place in the Central Arena from March 24 to 26. The public can visit it for free. The business program will be accompanied by performances of famous people, and at least one interesting exhibition
- 20.03.2017 Vandal attacked with a screwdriver on the painting by Gainsborough in the National gallery 63-летний homeless Keith Gregory managed to make two long scratches on the painting "Morning stroll" painted by Thomas Gainsborough
- 20.03.2017 Russian artist led the first Antarctic Biennale A sociocultural expedition, devised by our Alexander Ponomarev, finally-то started. 16 March 2017 from the Argentine port of Ushuaia towards Antarctica came research vessel "Akademik Sergey Vavilov" with the artists on Board
- 10.03.2017 Medina will provide bloggers with free entrance to museums In theaters online-писателей, too, will be admitted free. It seems that the cultural authorities began to suspect that a youth TV it is not the assistant
- 10.03.2017 Kandinsky painting I would like the court to Rob German Bank On the famous painting of 1907 "Colorful life" claimed by the heirs of the prewar owners. Now the painting is owned Bank of Bavaria, who rents it out to a Museum in Munich Lenbachhaus
- 28.03.2017 Painting by CY Twombly with an estimate $55 million put up for auction The painting "Leda and the Swan" promises to be one of the top-лотов auction of postwar and contemporary art Christie's may 17, in new-Йорке
- 28.03.2017 Books, autographs and stuff at the auction "KABINET" on March 30 March 30 auction house "KABINET" will hold the dealer auction, which will feature 455 lots, antique books, autographs, photographs, posters and postcards
- 22.03.2017 House of antique books "In the Nikita" invites auction # 90 March 30, will auction "Russian painting, graphics, decorative-прикладное art XVIII–XX centuries Autographs, historical documents, rare books on art, photography. From the collections of M. V. Ratz, I. V. Ilyinsky, E. Gollerbakh, A. T. Tvardovsky"
- 20.03.2017 Open 170-е the Auction Traditional twenty lots — is eleven paintings and six of the original sheets, one draw composition and one work, executed in mixed media
- 17.03.2017 Jubilee auction "Russian enamel" March 25 auction house "KABINET" will hold two sessions 50th anniversary-х auction, which will feature rare books, autographs, photographs, postcards, paintings and drawings. In the auction catalogue of over 400 lots for a total sum about 30 million roubles
- 24.03.2017 National standard "Examination of works of art. Paintings and drawings. General requirements" (GOST R 57424-2017) In nestandarta first lists the requirements for expert opinion as to the document with the list of information which it must operate. National standard examination of art promulgated by Order of the Federal Agency for technical regulation and Metrology (Rosstandart) №176-ст from 22 March 2017.
- 24.03.2017 Gogol for 6.5 million and Lermontov 3. Results 49-го auction "Russian enamel" Next Saturday's auction brought in almost 22 million rubles. With the hammer went about 53 % of the lots
- 23.03.2017 "Russian enamel": the new site was a happy one The results of the first auction "Russian enamel" in the new building on the Garden-Кудринской: sold 61% by lots and 79% for the money
- 16.03.2017 The picture of Alexander Gerasimov went for 3.7 million rubles. at auction "Russian enamel" on March 4 Just last auction of Russian and Western European art brought more than 13 million rubles With hammer away 47 % of the lots
- 10.03.2017 Revolution and international women's day: a brief summary of the auction "KABINET" on March 2 Sold out posters of the Civil war period and the first years of Soviet power. Collection of Felix Medvedev brought to 138 % of the average total estimate
- 24.03.2017 "An artist's model in the camera lens" The exhibition in the Tretyakov gallery (Lavrushinsky pereulok) will introduce with 45 portraits of the muses of Russian artists of second half XIX — beginning of the XX century
- 24.03.2017 The exhibition of Georgy Vereisky opens in the Russian Museum From 30 March to 15 may in the Mikhailovsky castle will host the first major exhibition of Soviet graphic classics by G. S. Vereisky (1886-1962). Will be presented about 150 works from the collection of timing
- 22.03.2017 Pushkin will hold an exhibition of Giorgio Morandi Exhibition of about 70 paintings and watercolors of Giorgio Morandi (1890-1964) from world famous museums and private collections opens at the art Gallery of Europe and America on April 25 and will last until mid-September
- 22.03.2017 The Faberge Museum will host a major exhibition of Salvador Dali More than 150 paintings and graphic works of Dali will be shown in the private fabergé Museum in Saint-Петербурге
- 20.03.2017 Andy Warhol in the state Darwin Museum Vavilova street In 1983, the king of pop-арта performed a series of ten serigraphs of "Endangered species" — with images of animals under threat of extinction. Among them was the Siberian tiger. Now these works were first shown in Russia
Login for subscribers
- 1. Mark Rothko$86,83 million
- 2. Kazimir Malevich$60,00 million
- 3. Chaim Soutine$28,16 million
- 4. Wassily Kandinsky$23,3 million
- 5. Alexei Jawlensky$18,59 million
- 6. Marc Chagall$14,85 million
- 7. Valentin Serov$14,51 million
- 8. Nicholas Roerich$12,09 million
- 9. Natalia Goncharova$10,88 million
- 10. Nicolai Fechin$10,84 million
- 11. Nicolas de Staël$9,42 million
- 12. Tamara de Lempicka$8,48 million
- 13. Ilya Repin$7,43 million
- 14. Konstantin Somov$7,33 million
- 15. Ilya Mashkov$7,25 million
- 16. Boris Kustodiev$7,07 million
- 17. Vasily Polenov$6,34 million
- 18. Yuri Annenkov$6,27 million
- 19. Vasily Vereshchagin$6,15 million
- 20. Zinaida Serebriakova$5,85 million
- 21. Ilya Kabakov$5,83 million
- 22. Alexander Yakovlev$5,56 million
- 23. Wladimir Baranoff-Rossine$5,37 million
- 24. Ivan Aivazovsky$5,34 million
- 25. Vladimir Borovikovsky$5,02 million
- 26. Alexander Rodchenko$4,5 million
- 27. Sonia Delaunay$4,34 million
- 28. Mikhail Nesterov$4,30 million
- 29. Konstantin Makovsky$4,20 million
- 30. Vera Rockline$4,04 million
- 31. Paul Kuznecov$3,97 million
- 32. Boris Grigoriev$3,72 million