Manchurian Forest 782 500 USD
Продано в 2010 году
Russian Snow Scene 362 500 USD
Продано в 2010 году
Urga 238 443 USD
Продано в 2013 году
Siberian Cossack Girl 205 000 USD
Продано в 2008 году
La Fin de la Kermesse [The end of the fair] 189 946 USD
Продано в 2016 году
Tientsin 182 500 USD
Продано в 2011 году
Painter, graphic artist
Leon Gaspard was born to a family of merchants, which came from France. In 1890s he studied in the studio of Yehuda Pen in Vitebsk and at Odessa Art School under the guidance of K. Kostandi. In 1900 Gaspard moved to Paris, where he continued his education in the Academy of R. Julien (till 1908), the studios of W.–A. Bouguereau and E. Toudouze. Gaspard met a lot of representatives of art circles in Paris, in particular A. Modigliani, M. Utrillo, G. Apollinaire, J. Pascin, A. France. In 1905 Bouguereau helped the artist to organize his first personal exhibition in the gallery Petit.
In 1908 Gaspard married American ballerina Evelyn Adel. Gaspard together with his wife made a trip to Siberia. In early 1910s he successfully exposed his works at the Autumn Salon, the Salon of French artists. He took part in many group exhibitions in Luxemburg, Gent, Brussels, Düsseldorf and Cologne. During the battle near Charleroi, Gaspard had to jump out the plane, which had lost control, without parachute. But he survived by a lucky chance. More than a year he had been in hospital.
In the beginning of 1916, Gaspard moved to the USA. The exhibition of his sketches of war was held in the gallery Rainguard; it provoked public interest. In spite of success in New York, under advice of physicians, Gaspard had to move to places with warm climate. In 1918 he settled in Taos.
In 1921–1924 Gaspard made a trip to Asia. He visited Japan, China, Mongolia; he traversed on horseback the Gobi desert, the Tian Shan; visited Transbaikalia, Turkestan, the Taklamakan Desert, Altaian steppes. On returning to Taos, Gaspard held several exhibitions of his work of Asian series, which brought fame to the artist in the USA.
Since 1933 Gaspard painted mostly in Taos and rarely left the town. He painted landscapes, scenes of American West, paintings of Asian and Russian motifs. Gaspard was on friendly terms with writer D. H. Lawrence, sculptor M. Sterne, painters J. Marin and N. I. Feshin, who lived in Taos too.
In 1956 Gaspard became a widower; he didn’t work for several years. In 1958 he married for the second time the famous painter Dora Kamenskaya. They made a trip to England, France, Belgium, Italy, Greece, Egypt and USSR. In 1961 big personal exhibition of Gaspard was held in Taos.
Retrospective exhibitions of Leon Gaspard were held in Santa Fe (1965) and in San Francisco (1967).
Leon Gaspard was one of the most outstanding representatives of American art of the 20th century. In Russia his art was almost unknown. His early works were painted in impressionism and postimpressionism styles; for some time his manner of painting was similar to H. Matisse’s one. Later Gaspard develop his own recognizable style, combining traditions of Russian painting and European art of the turn of the 19th and the 20th centuries. Works of Gaspard were characterized by decorative manner of painting, expressive bright colors, and texture strokes. Besides oil painting, Gaspard was engaged in watercolor and pastel.
Works of Leon Gaspard are in many museum and private collections, including the Museum of Art at the University of Oklahoma, the Art Gallery of the University of Rochester in New York, the Art Institute of Chicago, the San Antonio Museum of Art and others.
- 16.08.2022 Расследование ФБР подрывает репутацию Художественного музея Орландо Отменены три выставки, из собрания отозваны отдельные работы
- 14.08.2020 Face mask for $1.5 million In this sum cost the unnamed "billionaire from Shanghai" ordering a mask of gold and diamonds from the jewelry company Yvel
- 14.08.2020 A special contract for buyers of art of authors of African descent For fight against speculators, Christie's has developed a list of conditions of purchase
- 13.08.2020 Cultural institution in the U.S. last year spent $7.9 billion This year a repeat result is not obtained – loss of art-индустрии the United States already amounted to $150 billion And this is not the final figure
- 13.08.2020 Biography Yayoi Kusama will be released as a graphic novel With the history of one of the most successful contemporary artists in the form of a comic book will be available from 15 September 2020
- 03.08.2018 Торги «Антиквариума» 28 июля. Краткие итоги Наторговали на 3,6 миллиона рублей — 131 % от эстимейта. Одним из топ-лотов стала работа Владимира Немухина, проданная за 240 тысяч
- 25.07.2018 Очередной аукцион #всёпорублю в «Литфонде» принес почти 4,5 млн.руб. Топ-лотом стала икона «Богоматерь Владимирская» — 600 тыс. руб.
- 24.07.2018 «Русская Эмаль» торжественно закрывает сезон и уходит в отпуск На завершающих торгах 14 июля «Русская эмаль» порадовала участников Кандинским, целой коллекцией нэцкэ и произведениями Пыжовой
- 16.07.2018 Краткие итоги сороковых живописных торгов «Кабинета» Аукционный дом «Кабинет» проводит последние торги сезона и уходит в отпуск до осени, вслед за своими игроками
- 03.07.2018 Коротко о главном: итоги аукциона 28 июня в «Литфонде» Рейтинг возглавляют классики русской литературы, а сказочники продолжают удивлять
- 12.08.2020 Literature: Piroska Dossey. Sold! The book is about the phenomenon of pricing, the original title of which was ahead of its time in a decade
- 07.08.2020 Movies: "the Cool school" The emergence of abstract expressionism on the West coast of the United States the voice of the Big Lebowski
- 31.07.2020 10 most unusual ArtTech-стартапов 2020. Part 1 AI talks about young companies whose ideas have become especially popular with the onset of the quarantine
- 30.07.2020 "Russian week" in 2020, London: facts, figures and key findings AI collected basic information at the end of the summer series of Russian sales in London
- 29.07.2020 Literature: Еkaterina Dorozhkina. Zero Budget Marketing A practical book about the importance of marketing in terms of when people and companies have limited resources
- 17.06.2022 Выставка Люси Вороновой в галерее Atelier CHOUTKO На выставке будут представлены живописные произведения Вороновой разных лет и состоится премьера ковра ручной работы, созданного художницей совместно с Atelier CHOUTKO
- 14.03.2022 Эрмитаж потребовал досрочно вернуть работы, участвующие в итальянских выставках В Россию в ближайшее время вернутся около 25 картин
- 30.07.2020 In Saint-Петербурге opened the exhibition "Artists and collectors — to the Russian Museum. Gifts. 1898-2019. Favorites" The exhibition, held simultaneously on all the main belt, has collected more than 1,500 items donated to the Museum since the founding of the
- 27.07.2020 Fedor Rokotov exhibition opens at Historical Museum of Moscow A collection of works of the famous Russian portrait painter XVIII veka will showcase on 29 July 2020
- 07.07.2020 In the State Tretyakov gallery opened the exhibition "Nevsegda. 1968-1985" Exhibition — part of the trilogy initiated by the project "the Thaw" (2017), will be held at the New Tretyakov gallery from 7 July to 11 October 2020
Login for subscribers
- 1. Mark Rothko$86,83 million
- 2. Kazimir Malevich$85,81 million
- 3. Wassily Kandinsky$41,6 million
- 4. Marc Chagall$28,45 million
- 5. Chaim Soutine$28,16 million
- 6. Nicolas Staël$22,25 million
- 7. Alexei Jawlensky$18,59 million
- 8. Valentin Serov$14,51 million
- 9. Tamara de Lempicka$13,36 million
- 10. Nicholas Roerich$12,13 million
- 11. Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin$11,76 million
- 12. Natalia Goncharova$10,88 million
- 13. Nicolai Fechin$10,84 million
- 14. Ilya Repin$7,43 million
- 15. Konstantin Somov$7,33 million
- 16. Ilya Mashkov$7,25 million
- 17. Boris Kustodiev$7,07 million
- 18. Vasily Polenov$6,34 million
- 19. Yuri Annenkov$6,27 million
- 20. Ivan Klyun$6,26 million
- 21. Vasily Vereshchagin$6,15 million
- 22. Zinaida Serebriakova$5,85 million
- 23. Ilya Kabakov$5,83 million
- 24. Alexander Yakovlev$5,56 million
- 25. Konstantin Makovsky$5,47 million
- 26. Wladimir Baranoff-Rossine$5,37 million
- 27. Ivan Aivazovsky$5,34 million
- 28. Vladimir Borovikovsky$5,02 million
- 29. Alexander Rodchenko$4,5 million
- 30. Mikhail Larionov$4,46 million
- 31. Sonia Delaunay$4,34 million
- 32. Mikhail Nesterov$4,30 million
- 33. Vera Rockline$4,04 million
- 34. Mikhail Klodt$4,02 million
- 35. Pavel Kuznetsov$3,97 million
- 36. Alexandr Deineka$3,82 million
- 37. Boris Grigoriev$3,72 million